Friday, November 11, 2011

3R Buddy Group - November 7, 2011

                                                                        November 1, 2011
Hi Folks,
Note to self...It’s not how well you race, but at how well you pick your races.  A bunch of BG’ers visited the Northwest Passage 5K yesterday.  It’s a great race and for a great cause with great people and a great breakfast.  (Do you get the idea that everything about the race is great.)  I placed 3rd in my age group.  And I know that Marilyn placed in her age group and Connie placed in her age group. 
But, read below about the Tyranena Half-Marathon.  Those folks rocked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
RAVE RUN…
Tyranena was one of the most exciting events of my life.  The only other days that can top Tyranena are my wedding day and the day I got engaged! 
Just a little back story.... All of 2010, I had the aspirations of running a 5K but I doubted even being able to run a whole 3.1 miles. I was running with my dog through my neighborhood but I wanted to try something different - running with a group. In April of this year, I contacted a former co-worker, Cathie Holmgaard, to see if she had any recommendations of people to run with. She enthusiatically recommended Buddy Group. I ran with Buddy Group for the first time on April 28 and was somehow was convinced during recovery that first night I should train for the Tyranena Half Marathon this year.
Tyranena was great.  Within the first two minutes of the race, I felt out of place and thought "what in the heck am i doing here!?" but like every warm-up, it got easier.  Around mile 6, I was feeling estatic thinking "holy cow, I'm really doing this!" as I was maintaining my usual pace, 11:00 m/m, and passing up crowds of walkers.  Around mile 11, my legs went on strike.  I couldn't run; I could barely walk!  It wasn't a mental block; my calves just refused to be productive.  I did what I could to propel myself forward.  The spectators (specifically a four little girls with a sign that read "Don't give up") got me though as I did small bursts of running and walking to the end, finishing my first half marathon in 2 hours, 38 minutes (avg pace 12:04 m/m).  Crossing the finish line and having Anne, Jerry, Dave D, and Bruce B cheering me on was just glorious.  I didn't know if I should cry, puke, or collapse!  Soon my nausea subsided and we all enjoyed a great lasagna meal wearing our finishers medals! 
So now I'm hooked and ready for my next half!  I can't wait to see what else I'm capable of! However, I know I can't do it alone; I will continue to run with Buddy Group! Thanks to Dave K, Audrey S, Jerry M, Anne T, Dave D, Bruce B, and Shelly S for your expertise about running all year long!
-Stephanie Lammi, 26, Buddy Grouper since April 2011
----And from Dave
It was a great day for the Tyranena Beer Run Saturday. Sunny with race time temperature near 50. The only problem was the wind. It was blowing hard and only seemed to be behind us for a couple miles near the end. I had hoped to finish under two hours but ended up about a minute slower than last year.
Jerry and Bruce also saw their times drop off a minute or two but each finished second in his age group. Ann improved her time about a minute for a new PR and Stephanie successfully completed her first half marathon. Overall, a good day for the Buddy Group. We earned that post race lasagna and beer. 
Dave
Send me your favorite Youtube video’s, stories, and photos of moments, experiences, places, or people that you feel we can enjoy reading about in the BG email.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tyranena Half-Marathon Training:
Just as a follow up to Saturday’s race…Congratulations to everyone who finished.  You had some decent weather for the race.  And from what I heard, Jerry and Bruce the Elder placed in his age group.  Speedo is now hooked on running long distances.  OK.  This is redundant.  You read it above.  I had to fill in space?! 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now for some messages from the Hippy Dippy Weatherman…and yes, I know these are repeats, but I really want to stress the points.
Watch the leaves.  They can be slippery when wet.  (That’s also a name of an album.)
And with the time change yesterday (you did remember about the time change, didn’t you?) be careful as you run at night.  Make sure you wear reflective clothing.  Run along popular routes for safety. 
And finally, we run in all kinds of weather.  With winter fast approaching, use your best judgement when coming out for a run.  It will be cold, snowy, and icy for some of our runs.  So if you don’t feel comfortable on those days, it’s probably best to stay home or come out for recovery. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rockford Marathon next May…
No one has come forward and accepted the challenge of the full marathon for next May.  But there are a few folks who want to train for the half-marathon.  So, our training next spring will be geared towards the half-marathon.  And, since we allow anyone to run with us, I’ll put the word out to see if others from outside our group will want to join the fun.
Training starts towards the end of February.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget, the Crazy Legs race next April is on the calendar. 
The date is April 28th, 2012.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your patience the last couple of months because I was in class on Thursday nights.  The class is completed and like Arnold…I’ll be back (starting this Thursday). 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, the BG is on Facebook.  The link to the group now is: http://www.facebook.com/pages/3R-Buddy-Group/113136022536
The dates and activities for the next month or so should be out there.  So, look for some information there.  And go ahead and write on the wall.  Let others know about your running adventures.   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you need information about a run or location, feel free to give me a call at 815-222-1280.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to share any ideas for a run or recovery; if you'll be venturing to a distant race and you want to car-pool with some folks; or if you're training for a race and you want a training partner, pass the information onto me and I'll send the word out to others.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday, 11.10.11, Meet at the Hope and Anchor Restaurant on North Second Street, across from Woodward Governor.  We’ll run south and catch up with the bike path.  The total distance should be about 6 miles.  Recovery is at Hope and Anchor.  Meeting time is 6:00 pm.

Saturday, 11.12.11, Meet at Blackhawk Springs Forest Preserve on South Mulford Road.  We’ll run the path towards Edweena and pay our respects for the final time this year.  Meeting time is 7:00 am. 
Thursday, 11.17.11, Meet at Gerry’s Restaurant on East State Street.  We’ll head towards Midway Village and run a couple of loops before heading back.  Recovery is at Gerry’s.  Meeting time is 6:00 pm.

Saturday, 11.19.11, Meet at south end parking lot of Machesney Park Mall south of Pennys.  We’ll run the path towards Sports Score.  Meeting time is 7:00 am. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is a powerful driving force inside every human being that once unleashed, can make any vision, dream or desire a reality”     -Tony Robbins
"Relish the bad training runs. Without them it's difficult to recognize, much less appreciate, the good ones."     -Pat Teske
“There's more to a race than being faster than last time.”     -via Twitter
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waddle On!
Dave
The Buddy Group is open to any runners and walkers who want to come out and enjoy running and/or walking. We charge no fees and you do not have to be a member of any club. Please contact David Kiefer at davidkiefer@att.net for more information.
Legal disclaimer....I'm not a coach or trainer. By receiving this email, you will not hold the author or any recipients of this email liable for any injuries or activities you and your possession may encounter while running among this group. You run at your own risk knowing all the potential hazards that can arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment